Mr. Twin Cities Leather 2018
Welcome! Thank you for your interest in running for the title of Mr. Twin Cities Leather 2018. By competing, you will join a pool of contestants with whom you will become very close friends as you embark on this journey together. The winner will join a line of eight previous Mr. Twin Cities Leather titleholders, and an incredible group of international titleholders as you run, together, for International Mr. Leather (IML)!
Twin Cities Leather & Latte has been proud to produce the Mr. Twin Cities Leather Contest and its titleholders since 2013. The mission of Twin Cities Leather & Latte, which extends to this title, is "Community First!" The contest co-producer, The Saloon, has been a pillar of support for the Minnesota LGBTQ community for more than 35 years and serves as the cornerstone of nightlife and gaylife in the Twin Cities. The goal of the Mr. Twin Cities Leather contest and title is to celebrate the culture we live everyday. We view the International Mr. Leather contest to be an extension of this celebration - and we encourage all winners of the title to stay true to themselves from application to contest and beyond.
Contestants must be eligible to run for International Mr. Leather. Therefore, you must:
- Be available to travel to Chicago, IL and participate in 6 days of IML activities, on the dates of May 23rd-28th, 2018. For more information about what this entails, take a look at IMrL.com
- Identify as male
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Verify the above two requirements with a photo ID, per the requirements of the International Mr. Leather contest.
To run for Mr. Twin Cities Leather, you must also:
- Live in the Twin Cities Metro area OR
- Show a strong, known, frequent presence in the Twin Cities Metro area's various kink and BDSM communities(applicants from outside the TC Metro may be asked for local community references to vet this qualification)
Finally, applicants must
be available to participate in the entire Mr. Twin Cities Leather 2018 contest, February 16th-18th in Minneapolis, MN.
Process and Contestant Slots
There is no application fee.
Applications will be accepted to fill contestant slots on a first-come, first-serve basis until a maximum of 5 contestants is reached. Once all slots are filled, the application will remain open and any additional applications received will be placed into a list of alternate contestants in the order they are received. Applications for contestants and alternates will close on January 31st, 2018 at 11:59pm CST.
Should any of the five confirmed contestants drop out at anytime before 5pm on February 14th, 2018, the alternates on the list will be contacted by production staff one-by-one in the order received to fill the vacancy. Alternates must definitively agree or decline to fill the vacancy before staff moves on to the next alternate. A prompt decision will be expected.
At 5pm on February 14th, 2018, the list of confirmed contestants shall be deemed FINAL in its' standing at that time and the alternate list will be cancelled.
Any vacancies in the contestant pool that occur after 5pm on February 14th, 2018 will NOT be replaced with an alternate. Important note: It is considered disrespectful to the contest title as well as the other confirmed contestants/alternates to drop out of the competition after this deadline. Therefore, contestants who do so will be barred from competing in the Mr. Twin Cities Leather contest in future years. Exceptions to this rule will be made if the cancellation is due to the contestant's unavoidable illness, injury, or other emergency.
Validation of Applicants
Applications must be submitted via this form. Paper or verbal applications cannot be accepted. Contact us if you need assistance in filling out this form.
In order to protect the image and integrity of the contest, all applications will be screened by contest producers shortly after receipt. Applications will be rejected if they:
- do not meet the eligibility criteria listed above;
- present false, fictitious, malicious, or misleading information;
- are deemed to be fake or disingenuous;
- are submitted by an individual who dropped out of the contest late in a previous year without a valid excuse, as noted above;
- are submitted in bad faith with the intent to damage the name, image, or reputation of the contest title, producers, or sponsors at any time, before, during, or after the contest. (Major producers and sponsors include Twin Cities Leather & Latte and The Saloon.)
Production staff will NOT reject applications based on any other criteria, including but not limited to:
- age (except as noted in eligibility criteria, above)
- gender identity (except as noted in eligibility criteria, above)
- sexual orientation
- national origin
- spiritual or religious practice
- physical or sensory impairment
- native language
- experience level in the leather community
- kink or fetish
- or any other reason except as previously stated.
The writer of a rejected application will be contacted promptly and notified of the reasons why. Depending on the circumstances, the applicant may be allowed to correct and resubmit their application.
We are STRONGLY committed to transparency in this process. If questions arise regarding a decision we've made, contact us and we will be happy to explain the circumstances.
Expectations of the Winner
- Mr. Twin Cities Leather 2018 is expected to compete at International Mr. Leather, and to be themselves during the entire competition
- Don't get arrested during the title year
- Refrain from the use of any illegal substance
Otherwise, the winner has no formal duties or obligations. The winner is strongly encouraged to host events and champion important issues for the leather community, and to take advantage of the benefits of their prize package.
Winner's Prize Package
The winner of Mr. Twin Cities Leather 2018 receives the following prize package valued at over $5500.00 (furnished by Twin Cities Leather & Latte, The Saloon, and other contest sponsors):
- Travel arrangements to and from IML 2018, plus 6 nights' lodging/accommodations at the host hotel
- Travel arrangements to and from CLAW 2018, plus lodging/accommodations at the host hotel and a weekend package
- New for 2018! Travel arrangements to and from Iowa Leather Weekend 2018, plus lodging/accommodations at the host hotel and a weekend package
- A full set of formal leathers, tailored to fit you and altered to reflect your unique style
- Mr. Twin Cities Leather 2018 Title Patch and Vest, custom made for you
- To proudly wear the Mr. TCL legacy sash for your title year, with your title year number
All travel and lodging arrangements must be booked by Twin Cities Leather & Latte.
The contestants will be sent an agenda of events once the times and places are finalized.
Contestants will be judged by a panel of 8 judges on the following aspects of competition. Please note that while the panel of judges will be provided with general scoring guidelines, the ultimate scoring decisions are left to them as individuals.
- Leather/Kink Look: There is no separate judged "leather formal look" or "runway walk" portion to the contest. Contestants are judged based on the impression they have made with their kink/leather fashion through the course of the two days. Contestants will be judged based on physical appearance, choice of clothing, style, and confidence. (75 points)
- Interview: Contestants will be interviewed by the contest judges. These interviews will not be open to the public for viewing. Each judge will determine their own criterion for this portion, but all contestants’ interviews will follow the same general format and questions. (150 points)
- Onstage Question: Contestants will be asked one or more questions on stage. Contestants will not be informed of the question beforehand. Judging criteria include poise, demeanor, and the ability to think on your feet. (100 points)
- Speech: Contestants will present a two minute speech to the audience on a topic of their choosing. Contestants are expected to script and rehearse this speech. Contestants will be judged based upon delivery style, command of the audience, applicability of the subject matter, and presentation skills. (100 points)
- Talent: The contestants will each perform a (short) talent for the audience. This portion is intended to showcase your own personal talents in a fun, creative, entertaining way for the audience. Get creative! Use props! Criteria will include uniqueness of talent, entertainment quality, and audience reaction. (75 points) Additional note: Contestants should plan their staged talent portion to last a maximum of 5 minutes.
Contestants' scores will be collected and totaled out of a possible 500 points per judge, 4000 total points per contestant.
Two Tallymasters will be assigned to total the judges' scores and determine the winner and runners-up. The Tallymasters are also tasked with keeping the score books safe from outside influence or cheating by contestants or other third parties. The contest producers do not review or possess the judges score books at anytime before the announcement of the winner and runners-up. The contestants' final scores as noted in these books and totaled by the Tallymasters are revealed to the contest producers only AFTER the winner is sashed. The Tallymasters take this responsibility very seriously and are willing to answer questions about the contest integrity at anytime upon request.
You can save your application and come back to it later if you Create A User Account for this site before you begin!